Over 230 Years of Turpin History
Turpin Farms has a long heritage spanning more than 230 years. It all started when Phillip Turpin settled in the little Miami River bottoms on the 9th day of February 1785. Turpin Farms became a valued centerpiece in Anderson Township. Many people moved to the area to be near the farm's flour mill and two distilleries. The farm's rich bottomland soil produced harvests of wheat, corn, and soybeans, which supplied to the town with food and jobs.
EJ Turpin is One of Phillip Turpin's sons. Phillip Turpins' father Phillip Sr. received Turpin Farms as a revolutionary land grant which was 2,666 and two thirds acres, and our deed is signed by 2nd President of the United States John Adams.
The Turpin's were well respected in the community and held various public offices. They became a strong presence, owning 11 large brick estates on the fringes of Turpin land. Most of the homes, which have small windows near the ground where Turpin's could fend off Indian attacks, still stand and are occupied.
In the early 1960's, the Turpin's started growing a new crop (sod). This new crop has become Turpin Farms main crop for more than 30 years. Turpin Farms sod is growing under expert supervision from top quality seed blends. Turpin Farms has supplied sod to many high profile jobs like pro-football fields, golf courses, baseball fields, and many more. Turpin Farms now produces over 500 acres of turf a year, shipping it all over the Midwest.